What is Shopify Checkout Extensibility?
Shopify merchants use Shopify Checkout to take shipping, payment and customer details to complete and place an order. As the most critical step in a users buying journey, Shopify ensures a fast and secure checkout experience focused on ease of use. This is the native checkout that Shopify provides:
Historically, this native Shopify Checkout customisation through Checkout.Liquid has had limitations in terms of branding and what can be altered or added to the page. It is complex and time consuming, requires advanced coding knowledge which could also result in poor checkout performance, sub-par buyer experience and security concerns.
To address these concerns, Shopify launched Shopify Checkout extensions for Plus customers that provides flexibility to Plus merchants to introduce unique checkout experiences, promotions and custom logic in the Shopify Checkout page without breaking the original code for regular checkout process. Not to forget, Shopify also launched the branding API that can be used with Shopify Checkout Extension to introduce brand elements on the checkout page which was historically not possible.
If you have not migrated your Shopify checkout yet, here's a short video to get you started in 6 easy steps:
Customising Shopify Checkout using Checkout Extensions- How it Works
In Shopify’s own words - Checkout extensions make it easier for Shopify Plus merchants to customize their checkout in a way that’s app-based, upgrade-safe, higher-converting, and integrated with Shop Pay. Shopify Checkout Extension are also compatible with Shopify One Page Checkout.
Here’s how Shopify Checkout Extensibility Benefit Online Stores:
1. Optimizing Your Store with Shopify Checkout Branding API
Using the Checkout Extensibility, branding API and Checkout editor, you can now customise the entire checkout page to convey the same brand experience as your store. While customising fonts and colors is extremely simple with checkout editor, you can also use branding API to introduce more advanced elements like a section that speaks of brand values such as ethically sourced, locally grown etc.
2. Add new Functionality
a) Custom Fields
Introduce custom fields to customise orders like choose a color, add a gift message, order notes or get buyer information
b. Product Offers
Offer exclusive deals on hitting a cart milestone, cash backs, upsell products (recommended buys, mini samplers, newly launched, gift wraps, greeting cards, free samples etc.) and customised deals based on customer history at checkout.
Add trust badges, banners, images or text to convey information and increase credibility and conversion.
3. Add custom logic
Rename, reorder or hide payment and delivery methods based on different rules at checkout. Or customise what offers customers see based on products added to cart or UTM channel from where the customer was acquired. You can also offer tiered pricing and discount combinations at checkout with custom logic.
4. Discount Codes and Gift Card
Allow buyers to add discount codes and redeem gift cards directly at checkout and update cart line items accordingly.
5. Storefront API and Checkout Extension Integration
Ability to query storefront API to get information like product tags, collections, currency conversion etc. Use this to display product information that will ensure a conversion like “Locally produced by artisans from a nearby town
Note: All graphics above have been produced with our app Checkout Wizard that helps you set up every single feature we discussed above. It is a no-code app that will completely transform your checkout with minimum set up.
What are the benefits of checkout extensibility?
1. Increase Conversion Rate or Reduce Cart Abandonment
These are some ways to ensure a purchase, once the customer has reached the checkout page:
- Offer free gift at checkout to increase the likelihood of conversion
- Provide exclusive deals, relevant discounts, cashbacks or product information at checkout to re-inforce the purchase.
- Payment and Delivery options based on geography and location. For eg. provide COD option to customers shopping from a location where COD is preferred over credit cards. Hide or re-order payment options based on different parameters.
- Provide additional details like guaranteed delivery dates based on location provided to ensure buyers are convinced about timely delivery
2. Increase AOV
There are several ways to urge a customer to add more at checkout in return for relevant product offers like
- Upsells such as greeting cards, gift wraps, recommend products based on cart items, add a “try new launch section”, offer trial samples at discount etc.
- Introduce a post purchase page to offer one-click upsells to increase AOV
- Bundling Discounts that encourage customers to add more items at checkout to get a bundle offer
- Promotions such as add another product at a heavy discount or exclusive deals unlocked based on cart value
3. Increase Retention
Retention is the most important piece for ecommerce given how expensive new customer acquisition is. Try out some unique ways at checkout to keep customers coming back for more.
- Set rules to offer subscription on certain cart items during checkout at a discounted price and let customers choose the frequency
- Unlock cash back deals to redeem for future purchases. For eg. Add $50 more to get $15 cash back that can be redeemed at a later time
- Offer unique experiences like gamification at checkout to unlock deals that also encourage customers to keep coming back.
- Introduce post-purchase page after checkout and offer memberships, or deals that can be availed at a later point
- Add custom fields to get additional information from customers like Birthdays, Anniversaries etc. in return for a pre-loaded GiftCard on the provided dates
- Use advanced Shopify checkout features like web pixel extension to collect customer data for marketing campaigns, store optimization, and analytics by inserting tracking pixels into the checkout
4. Increase Trust
- Use Shopify checkout branding API to have a seamless on-brand experience throughout the customer journey. Re-inforcing the same brand values and ethics during checkout is a great way to build trust.
- Provide checkout tool tips, buyer FAQs and relevant warnings in time like expected delays due to weather conditions in provided location or brand does not ship to certain zip codes etc.
- Provide additional confirmation when customers avail discounts or gift cards. For eg. display a message in cart that the Gift Card was successfully applied.
- Reduce shipping costs by introducing router logic and deciding from where and how products are shipped. Pass on the reduced shipping costs to customer as deals.
- Use the post purchase extension to collect feedback and assure a better experience
5. Increase Acquisition
- Offer discounts and deals for referrals at checkout
- Provide gifting features at checkout that allows you to collect receiver information for future marketing. For eg. encourage users to send an e-greeting card or video message and get receiver email for same
Upgrade from Checkout.liquid to Checkout Extensibility
To start using Checkout Extensions, you first need to be subscribed to Shopify Plus Plan. If you are a plus customer, get in touch with us to help you upgrade from checkout.liquid to checkout extension. Shopify has set Aug 2024 as the deadline for same after which checkout.liquid will be completely deprecated. We have helped over 100 Plus merchants migrate smoothly and have a ton of experience building lightning-fast, mobile-responsive, and native checkout experience optimised for conversions.
We have written a detailed migration guide to understand how to upgrade from Checkout.liquid to Checkout Extensibility. Give it a read. You can also checkout the successful migration of Yamazaki that led to higher conversion rates on their store.
We have also built an app - Checkout Wizard that can help you take complete control of your checkout and do any customisation you wish without any need of coding. Use the app to enhance and create a smoother, more enjoyable branded checkout experience, leading to higher customer satisfaction and fewer abandoned carts. With a single app you can do everything we explained above and much more.
Conclusion : Why Shopify Plus Checkout Extensions Matter
With Checkout UI extension, Shopify is ensuring that merchants can extend checkout to include functionality that isn't provided natively by Shopify with more ease and securely and all customisations are integrated with Shop Pay.
The versatility of the Shopify checkout process has undergone considerable improvement; it no longer resembles the rigid, encapsulated experience it once was. With the introduction of flexible checkout blocks, merchants are now empowered to customize segments of the checkout process to encapsulate their unique brand experience, and do Shopify checkout performance optimization more effectively thereby enhancing the overall shopping experience for customers.
Shopify is continually improving the checkout experience with various features, such as Checkout UI extensions, Shopify Functions, Checkout Branding API, Post-purchase checkout extensions and Pixels. These customization options are upgrade-safe, ensuring they work seamlessly with future Shopify updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does Shopify checkout customization impact user experience?What are the latest features in Shopify checkout extensibility?
Yes, Shopify checkout customization improves customer experience by allowing merchants to tailor the checkout process through custom branding, content, and fields, as well as adding elements like upselling and free shipping bars to create a unique and engaging checkout.
The latest features in Shopify checkout extensibility include Checkout UI extensions, Functions, Post-purchase Checkout Extensions, Advanced Checkout Branding, and a drag-and-drop checkout editor for Shopify Plus merchants.
2. What Are the Steps to Implement Shopify Checkout Extensibility?
To implement Shopify Checkout Extensibility, follow these steps:
- Review Existing Checkout.liquid Code: Examine current customizations in the Shopify admin under Online Store > Themes. Edit the code to assess the checkout.liquid customizations.
- Create a Draft Checkout: Go to Settings > Checkout > Checkout Customization in the Shopify admin. Create a new draft checkout under the "Draft checkouts" section and customize it using the checkout editor dashboard.
- Set Up Checkout Editor: Use the drag-and-drop interface to customize the checkout's appearance with logos, colors, fonts, and checkout apps for additional functionality.
- Configure Shopify Pixels for Analytics: Add the store's GA tracking code in Shopify Pixels to track various checkout events and understand customer drop-off points.
For more detailed guidance and insights on each step, you can read the full article here
3. How do I improve my shopify checkout process?
To improve your Shopify checkout process, you can utilize Checkout Extensibility to customize appearance, fields, and functionality, implement tracking scripts, offer upsells, optimize payment and shipping information, and enhance order summary pages.
4. Does Shopify have secure checkout?
Yes, Shopify provides a secure checkout process. They adhere to strict security standards like PCI DSS and GDPR to protect sensitive customer information during payment transactions. They want merchants to shift from checkout.liquid to checkout extensions for providing even better security.
5. How Does Shopify Checkout Extensibility Benefit Online Stores?
Shopify Checkout Extensibility offers features that benefits online stores are:
- Better User Experience: Customizes checkout with branding, content, and fields for better engagement.
- Complex Capabilities: Adds features like upselling and free shipping bars for optimized checkout.
- Security Compliance: Adheres to PCI DSS and GDPR for safe customer data handling.
- Post-Purchase Engagement: Integrates post-purchase pages and tracks buyer behavior for improved experiences.
- Visual Customization: Aligns checkout appearance with brand aesthetics using checkout editor and branding options.
- Compliance and Validations: Ensures specific criteria are met for certain products, like age verification.
- Optimized Payment and Shipping Methods: Customizes checkout to highlight preferred options, reducing cart abandonment.
6. What capabilities does the Shopify checkout branding API provide?
The Shopify checkout branding API provides the capability to modify the look and feel of the checkout by adding logos, changing colors, updating fonts, and installing checkout apps for more functionality.
7. Why is Shopify checkout performance optimization crucial for sales?
Shopify checkout performance optimization is crucial for sales because it builds a faster and smoother checkout experience, reducing cart abandonment and increasing conversion rates.
8 How can small businesses leverage Shopify checkout features?
Small businesses can leverage Shopify checkout features by using Checkout Extensibility to customize their checkout process, implement tracking, offer upsells, and create a seamless and branded experience for customers.
9. What are the common challenges in customizing Shopify checkout?
Common challenges in customizing Shopify checkout was the need for developer assistance, but that's not the case anymore. With checkout extensions, you can customize you checkout easily with an app like Checkout Wizard.
10. Are there any risks associated with modifying Shopify checkout?
They are no risks to modify Shopify Checkout with new checkout extensions because it is designed to provide you a more secure experience and keep you away from custom code. You can just use an app like Checkout Wizard that will use Shopify functions for a secure checkout customization.